Maui Project Project (Part 2.)




I'm pretty sure the cold affects my brain, and that it should be a recognised medical condition that gets treated on the NHS, ideally with a doctor's orders trip to the Caribbean, Australia or Maui. '

Until then I'll continue to suffer. And so will my windsurfing kit. Anyway. My 'thinking' as far as it went, was that I could turn an ancient (in windsurfing terms) board into something resembling a more modern one, simply by chopping the nose off. I had spoken to a few people about this previously, notably my brother who is a bit of a guru at fixing smashed windsurfing boards, particularly noses. I can't remember what he said on the matter, but he didn't sound keen. Something about the rocker line, and it being more effort that it was worth.

However, it's so facking cold that there's nothing else to do that keeps you interested in windsurfing kit. So I went ahead and did it anyway. Part 3 of this post will be the interesting one, the one where it actually gets wet and we see if it still sails OK. It would have been a whole lot more interesting had I actually bothered sailing it before chopping the nose off. But I did say there wasn't a lot of thinking going on...

I thought I'd post an update though, to try to show that it doesn't look that bad, now it's nearly finished (still have to sand the final paint down to give it that invisible matt finish. ) In fact I don't think it even looks that different from this Fanatic Freewave from a couple of years ago (and which was notoriously low nose-rockered. (The new Maui Project actually has more nose rocker than the Fanatic even now, which makes me quite optimistic).

Maui Project new dimensions

Width 58.1cm (unchanged, obviously)
Length 242cm (was 257cm)
Volume 87l? (guess, based on how much got cut off and sanded down) (was 94 quoted)
Shaper: Peter Thommen (sorry Peter)

For comparison, the 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85
Width 58.4cm
Length 238








Comments