Triple Thoughts

It sent a shiver down my spine reading about Boujamma's triple attempt at Hookipa. The boy was amazingly lucky that Klass Voget could get to him on time and administer CPR in the middle of Hookipa break and bring him round effectively and quickly enough to avoid a fatality or other damage. We hope he makes a full recovery and I am sure he will have support for that huge medical bill.

It provoked some thought into what I have been thinking about for a while now, especially as since many of the places we sail here at home do not have Life guards. Despite being such a powerful break, the constant eye of the Hookipa lifeguards makes it relatively safe to sail there. Now I have no idea if Boujamma went out there with the intention of doing a triple, or just saw the right ramp at the right time. However, the only other Jumping lunatic to go for triples, Ricardo Campello, wore a body armour jacket and a crash helmet when going for these at Pozo, and he crashed really hard. In other extreme sports that do ridiculous rotations, they all wear helmets and certainly in this instance maybe it is the right thing to do, or maybe not. It is definitely down to the individual, however instances like this always remind me of the consequences of being knocked out when on the water.

I was definitely against helmets for snowboarding, until two families I went with refused to go on the slopes with me unless I wore one. I got a cheap one to see if it really restricted me, I got used to it though, and am glad I did. Later in that week I crashed hard on the biggest jump in the snowboard park, landing on my head, knocking myself out and coming round motionless for several minutes. Maybe the helmet saved me from dire consequences. Now I can't believe so many people don't use them. The question I keep pondering is whether to get a helmet myself for windsurfing, I think I will. This incident has certainly made an impression on me.

Like many of us I go windsurfing by myself a lot, there are no lifeguards and no one on the water to help me if things go wrong. Now that I have a little nipper who is going to rely on me I think it is even more important, especially if doing stunts with no one out - It only takes a mis timed bail out - for you to smack your head on the mast hard! Whether I will wear one all the time who knows, because we like the freedom. But for now, for lone wave sailing, I think I can cope with it...

(As an after thought, and the second political opinion in a week. It is thought that Boujamaa's bill could reach into the tens of thousands of US dollars. When priced up, the cost of effective medical care is amazing. It makes quite a realisation of how excellent the NHS is, as much as we like to criticise it. Let's hope Georgy and his coalecesed reforms don't get past the first post - you never know when you need it!)

Comments

  1. Would be interesting to hear / know what helmets work well with wavesailing ie that will be comfy all year round, not too hot and annoying when its warm and sunny as well as winter...that provide enuff protection without feeling to closed in etc.

    Any suggestions?
    What does G Ezzy wear all year round?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only ones I really know about that look un-restrictive are the Gath ones. I'll try one out, see and let you know. Usually with helmets I hate the way they force the wind to whistle really hard past your ears. I wore a blue sunshine one years ago after having a head injury that required plenty of stitches and quite severe concussion. I hated it though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two incidents in quick succession at that infamous wave sailing spot spot Shoreham beach park that persuaded me to buy a lid. First someone just sailed straight into me. Then 2 days later Guy Cribb slowly sailed into my head whilst I was swimming for my kit... No damage done but for a few years I sailed around looking like a match stick, with a bright orange Gath lid. I think crowed conditions offer as much danger if not more than lone wave sailing. Gath lids work well and I think that's what G Ezzy wears.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment